Re: [DNA] Scope of solutions discussion document

Hi Sathya,

I seem to remember some discussion on this on the old mobile-ip list
some time ago, but I don't think there were any concrete conclusions.

As you say, they are all "SHOULDs" so there's no immediate show
stoppers, but all should be considered carefully.

MAX_RTR_SOLICITATIONS is not really an issue, since the section also
says later:

    Once the host sends a Router Solicitation, and receives a valid
    Router Advertisement with a non-zero Router Lifetime, the host MUST
    desist from sending additional solicitations on that interface, until
    the next time one of the above events occurs.  Moreover, a host

where the "above events" include attaching to a link for the first time.

RTR_SOLICITATION_INTERVAL could potentially slow things down if a host
is moving rapidly between links (less than 4 sec on a link), however the
text doesn't seem to say that "a host can never send RSs spaced closer
RTR_SOLICITATION_INTERVAL".  The implication seems to be that when a
host is trying to get an RA on a link, it should space its RSs by
RTR_SOLICITATION_INTERVAL until it gets an RA and then stop.  If it
got a hint that it had moved to a new link, it could start the whole
process again.  At least that's my interpretation.

MAX_RTR_SOLICITATION_DELAY is a trickier one.  As you note it is a
"SHOULD" delay.  Perhaps on power-up a host might delay, but not when
movement is detected, but still doesn't address the issue of a whole
lot of mobile nodes in a fast moving vehicle.  I think Greg has done
some simulations on groups of nodes moving at once and may have some
comment to add.

Cheers,
Brett.