[DNA] Interest in DNA or not? (Re: )

Dear James,

----- Original Message -----
From: James Goldsmith <j.goldsmith@rediffmail.com>
Date: Saturday, February 12, 2005 6:14 am

> DNA group has been very inactive for quite some time.
>
> There are only two messages in February - one is an IESG
> announcement, and another is from the chair.

I'm sorry, postings here have been pretty light,
and it seems I'm taking more than my fair share.

> There were no
> messages in January and only a few messages in December all between
> Pekka and Jinkchok on the goals draft.
>
> It appears that people have lost interest in this group, and not
> many seem to care any more about the work pursued in this group.
> There are only 3 or 4 people have any interest left in DNA group?s
> continued activities.

Certainly mailing list traffic has been light.

This is of concern to both the Chairs and the Area
Directors.

There are, as you say, a small core of people
actively driving work for this group.  The number of
people is probably about three times as large
as you say, but the silence of the other
Mailing list members should be explored.
We really need to see if the (list) members are
actually interested in the outputs of those
currently spending cycles on the development.

It is worth noticing that there are at least
two implementations of ideas under discussion,
and interest from manufacturers.

> This is very rare for an IETF group where it is easy to see even a
> smallest working group attract a few hundred people in meetings
> (and /or on mailing lists).  The main reason is that DNA group
> hasn?t produced any thing useful ? goals and bcp drafts are just re-
> iteration of what already exist in IPv4 and IPv6 mobility
> architecture documents.

At the last IETF session, we didn't have room
for one of the A-D's to squeeze in (sorry!)

Perhaps we have or will see a waning of interest.

It's worth working out whether this is the case,
though.

The goals document is a distillation of the
discussions which originated back in the days of
MIPv6 development.  At the time, the understanding
of the problem was actually quite poor, and
JinHyeock and I (and others) proposed some
solutions which look naive now.

A set of goals to measure solutions against
is certainly worth having.  Now that it has
been approved, the work can move onto something
closer to implementation.

The BCPs are similar in that people have previously
been able to design solutions which work in a
some constrained environments (Eager Cell Switching,
etc), but have significant drawbacks in others.
the BCPs are to give something defined in the
current standards which is useful, safe and
reasonably fast.

Personally (biased), I think that these documents
aren't redundant. As far as I can see there
weren't really any architecture documents for
mobility in IPv6 :)

Please be aware: this is not a mobility group.
It's a connectivity group.  Erik Nordmark
(then an AD) said that he thought the problem was
broader than movement detection.

So while mobility documents may have had a go at
defining mechanism for fast reconfiguration
in a particular network, not everyine will have
50ms mean delay between RAs, nor FMIPv6.

> Based on past proceedings and discussions, it appears that DNA
> group cannot propose any solution without Layer 2 event
> modifications; something that is outside the scope of IETF.

This is not the case.

There are several interesting and widely applicable
ideas of how to do this at L3.

By monday, a design discussion draft will be
posted (one of the Design Team products), which
will shed light on this.

At this stage, DNA-DT discussions have been
in-camera.  Pekka and I aren't even on the list.
It's not surprising that details aren't leaking
out onto the DNA list yet then.

While this is not aimed at secrecy, the DT have
been doing a good job of effectively and efficiently
evaluating various solutions.  New ideas and
knowledge have been uncovered.

Please wait and see for this (only a few days more).

> don?t see any interesting proposals being discussed in DNA WG. On
> the other hand, there are over a dozen actively pursued proposals
> in IEEE 802.21 ? protocol independent handoff group. For Layer 3
> solutions, I have not seen any thing better than fast RA draft that
> exists from pre-DNA group creation.

Well, that depends on your point of view.

There are plenty of drafts in the repository.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=search_list&search_job_owner=0&search_group_acronym=&search_status_id=&search_cur_state=&sub_state_id=6&search_filename=-dna-&search_rfcnumber=&search_area_acronym=&search_button=SEARCH

You'll notice:

(In the existing protocol space)
draft-ietf-dna-link-information (None)

draft-narayanan-dna-hosts-bcp
draft-narayanan-dna-routers-bcp
draft-jinchoi-dna-cpl
draft-hong-dna-if-l2

(in the proposal space)
draft-narayanan-dna-rrd
draft-daley-dna-det-fastra
draft-daley-dna-nonce-resp
draft-daley-dna-prob-fastra

More drafts are expected on monday or by monday.

As you know, a lot of the drafts
come from a small core of people.
If they're missing something, then people should
contribute a more effective solution.

> Yes, I know two or three active people in this group are trying to
> create some sort of solution document, but it appears, based on
> rather poor traffic on the mailing list, that mobility community
> has already given up.

Perhaps you are correct with regard to mailing list activity.

It is certainly worth finding out if people
are interested in the outputs of the group.

Another alternative idea may be that while people
are interested in the outputs, they are unable
to devote time to the document and protocol
development themselves (except for example
at IETF).

Perhaps we can poll people as to what their
current level of interest is, and determine if
some actions need to be taken.

Certainly there needs to be more input on the ML
for the IETF process to be fully effective.
Lulls with furious activity around meeting times
have the potential of blindsiding the group if
new technical details come out too late to be fixed
before a session.

> What is the point of creating a document in which most people seem
> to have lost the interest? In my opinion, the group should become
> dormant or be closed until IEEE comes up with better event
> definitions for layer 2 for facilitating faster hand-off.

If people have lost interest and don't
want to see a document, please speak up.

If you're interested, but quiet, please indicate
if this is so.

Your advice on how best to advance the group
is also welcome.

(Chair Hat Off)

Personally, being biased, I think that new
trigger primitives are only half of the story.

It may take a long time to upgrade or replace
the majority of deployed link-layer equipment,
especially those with a firmware or part hardware
implementation.

Software upgrades on host and routing
infrastructure are either more common (for routers)
or don't require co-ordination (for hosts).
This may give L3 solutions earlier momentum
than new L2 solutions.

It's also worthwhile to remember that while
IEEE's protocols are pervasive, they're not
universal.

Thanks again for having the courage to
express an opinion.

Greg